Here is a great recipe if you are trying to get your children or teenage children to eat fish. The other ingredients mask the ‘fishiness’ of the fish. Feel free to substitute the cod for any flaky fish you may have on hand. Enjoy!
Ingredients to make Cod Cakes
- 1 1b steamed cod or any other flaky fish you like
- 2 TBS grated onion
- 1 large peeled, diced, steamed potato
- 3 TBS olive oil, one TBS butter for frying, may need more
- 1 tsp lemon pepper (or 3/4 tsp ground pepper with a half -whole lemon squeezed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2/3 panko for breading
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the panko breadcrumbs and mash with a potato masher or fork .
- Stir in 1/3 of the breadcrumbs until combined.
- Form into patties, about 3″ wide.
- Place 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, dip each patty in — one at a time — and press down so that it’s covered on both sides with the crumbs. Shake off excess.
- In a medium-sized skillet, preferably ceramic non-stick, pour in enough of the olive oil and butter to cover the pan, about a TBS of oil and a tsp of butter. Heat until hot.
- Fry patties until browned on one side, flip and brown the other side.
- Repeat, adding more oil and butter until all patties are crispy. Lastly, serve with sauce (recipe below). Makes about 12 patties
Cod cakes must be served with this spicy sauce
- 1 TBS mayo
- 1 1/2 TBS sour cream
- 1/8 tsp spicy smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Stir in a small bowl until combined and chill. serve your cod cakes with this sauce and wait for your kids to love eating fish.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?