Hydration In Summers.

Hydration In Summer.

Scorching June compelled everybody to be at home under the air-conditioner 24/7. Our body is composed of water 3 parts by four, but in summer it consumes almost half of the water it has in the form of sweating or increased requirement of hydration in the body.

Hydration For Heart.

Our muscles, mainly the heart, depend on hydration to work properly; without water, it loses its capacity to contract and it decreases in power and endurance. In summers when we came home from outside we probably experienced the foggy-headed feeling that comes with being thirsty; that’s because your brain requires ample hydration to function well, too. 

Hydrophobic Stomach.

The digestive system requires water to break down and move food through your system; dehydration can slow things down and cause waste to become, erm, backed up, and cause constipation; the mother of all diseases. Plus, once the food is broken down and nutrients are extracted, your blood will carry those nutrients to your cells, a process that also requires ample fluid.

When you drink more, you also visit the bathroom more, which is good. Regular urination flushes toxins and bacteria from the body and can decrease your chances of developing a urinary tract infection.

Water Alternatives.

Water is the most essential requirement of our diet but we can’t drink it all the time for the sake of hydration. So, the nature give us plenty of water alternatives which the overcome our need hydration with their appealing and amazing tastes.

Here are 10 most most appealing and hydrating food that can help us in keeping our body hydrated in this scorching and blazing heat.

Cucumber; Best Known For Hydration.

It contains 96.73% of the water in it. That’s a fair enough amount one should have with their meals. Cucumbers are a source of potassium and also contain phosphorus, magnesium, and a small amount of calcium.

Cucumber in detox water.
Cucumber in detox water.

Researchers from the University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, have shown that, after a workout, cucumbers can deliver the same hydration levels twice the same volume of water. Cucumbers’ extra punch is due to their electrolyte content, which helps the body retain water. Moreover, if you peel the skin, you can get even more water into your system.

Coconut Water.

Coconut Water; power house of hydration.
Coconut Water; power house of hydration.

If someone looking for a liquid hydration option other than water, one should avoid processed, artificially colored, high-sugar sports drinks and instead check out nature’s Gatorade, coconut water.

Coconut water is especially good for rehydrating the body thanks to its perfect balance of sodium and potassium. It can help the body restore fluids and electrolytes on its own or mixed into another beverage. If you’re experiencing muscle soreness due to dehydration, coconut water can be an excellent treatment for this. It’s also a great endurance booster during long workouts as it has carbohydrates and minerals in good proportion.

Water Melon

 Watermelon is everyone’s favorite summer fruit, and for good reason: Watermelon flesh is about 91% water. The remaining 9% is a host of vitamins like A and C, lycopene, and fiber, plus a healthy dose of delicious. It is also a rich source of lycopene, which offers protection from the sun. Although sweet, watermelon is only 8% sugar. It is also rich in electrolytes sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

Watermelon; hydration booster.
Watermelon; hydration booster.

Great on its own, in a salad or with chilled lemonade, watermelon offers quick hydration and electrolytes that can also help prevent muscle soreness and speed recovery from dehydtraion. Watermelon has also become a splashy new addition in the realm of bottled juices, so if you’re not into hauling squishy melon around in your bag for hydration emergencies, consider a bottle of the good stuff.


Peaches; the perfect summer delight
Peaches; the perfect summer delight.

An excellent source of vitamin A and potassium, peaches also contain approximately 88% water content, making them a great solution to beat dehydration. This juicy fruit contains plenty of vitamins, including C, A, E, and K. It is also a good source of potassium and phosphorus. Fresh peaches are said to be best during late summer when temperatures are often high. People can eat peaches as a quick snack, or they can incorporate them into salsas, salads, or smoothies. Therefore, they’re easy to find and they taste perfectly sweet when our bodies need them the most!


These fruits are made up of 74% water. In addition, they contain potassium, an electrolyte that is depleted during dehydration. Electrolytes, like potassium, are responsible for a great many functions. For example, they help our bodies produce energy and even enable our muscles—like the heart—to contract.


Mashed bananas are the best skin mask for regaining the natural shine of skin. It’s no wonder that bananas, along with their travel-friendly design, are a darling food of exercisers the world over.


Celery is 96% water. It’s like eating a crunchy glass of water. On top of all of that great fluid content, celery also contains folate, potassium, vitamins B6, and a plethora of antioxidants. Celery also makes a good snack. Popular serving ideas include spreading peanut butter or almond butter on the top, which adds lots of extra protein. Celery will offer more hydration if consumed raw, so chop it up to use in a salad or slaw or slather it with your favorite nut butter and goji berries for a grown-up “Ants on a Log” snack.

Celery and it's juice.
Celery and it’s juice.

This light green, the crunchy vegetable is low in calories, protein, and carbohydrates but packs a punch with fiber. It also provides A and K vitamins, as well as potassium and folate.


This popeye obsessed leafy green vegetable packs a lot of nutrition and fiber with very few calories. It is a good source of magnesium and also contains calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin K, fiber, and folate.

Spinach;  Popeye Food.
Spinach; Popeye Food.

Spinach makes a great base for salads. People can also blend it into a smoothie with sweet fruit. For those who find spinach too bitter, mixing it with sweet fruit in a smoothie can help balance out the taste.


Although many people consider the tomato to be a vegetable, it is botanically a fruit that is rich in fiber, vitamins C and K, folate, and potassium. The water content of tomatoes is around 95%. The other 5% consists mainly of carbohydrates and fiber.

Juicy Tomatoes.
Juicy Tomatoes.

Tomatoes also contain lycopene, which helps prevent cell damage. Tomatoes are best known for making skin fresh and healthy.



Keeping in mind about how texturally hard it is, you may be surprised to learn that cauliflower is a hydrating vegetable. In fact, cauliflower is 92% water by weight. It also contains loads of vitamin C, vitamin K, and other key nutrients. Cauliflower soup contains a very good amount of nutrients we need in summers. Cruciferous veggies like cauliflower have been tied to cholesterol improvement and reduced cancer risk. To make cauliflower more palatable, try boiling it first.


If you love fruits and especially crave them in summer, then we bet you love lychees or litchi. Lychee is full of antioxidant Vitamin C, and Vitamin B-complex. The nutrients inside lychees aid the production of blood. Lychee is rich in fiber and Vitamin B-complex, fat, protein, and carbohydrate that are essential for our metabolism.


A cupful of lychees – about ten litchis – contain vitamin C, vitamin B2 (riboflavin), potassium, and copper. As good as having a whole good orange – only in terms of Vitamin C content. Lychees also have antioxidant, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-diabetic, anti-obesity, liver-protective, and immune-boosting benefits.

The more you take these hydrating food in your diet the more you will be healthy and energetic. Do have these water alternatives in your daily life and be hydrated. Happy Summers!

For more articles visit our website Fajar Magazine.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Most Popular

To Top