January 1st is the first page of a 365-page novel. This is the month where you looking forward to new beginnings and leave the past behind. It is the first month of the yearly calendar. January is one of the coldest months. This month is about a fresh new start and sheds old gloomy days. January is the coldest month in Northern Hemisphere whereas in Southern Hemisphere in terms of temperature is equal to July. In Northern Hemisphere, it is the 2nd month of winter whereas in Southern Hemisphere it is the 2nd month of summer. January has two zodiac signs; the first one is Capricorn (21 Dec-19 Jan) and the second one is Aquarius (20 Jan- 19 Feb).
Let’s go backward in time and talk about history. Month January named after in the honor of Romanian God of door Janus. People worshipped this God only in the time of wars and battles. In peacetime, this God’s door was closed. This God Janus had two faces, one was forward and the other one was at the back. Due to having two faces in the opposite direction God Janus can see in two different directions at the same time.
According to Romanian belief, man can see his future and past just like this God Janus whose forward front face can see the future and backward face can see the past. Roman people made a huge statue of this God. Before doing or starting any new thing people worshiped and ask for good luck from this God. They doing this because they believed that when you pray to this God before any new, that will definitely going towards completion. Normally people worship this God for the safety of their home doors.
Originally the Roman calendar had 10 months. January and February were not counted as months it is just a period of winter and New Year started with March when spring comes. When January was named it had 30 days and it came as the last month of the year.
In 46BC Julius Caesar became the king of Rome. He added one day more to the month of January and it became 31 days a month. Julius also shifted this month from last to the start. And now January is the first month of the yearly calendar having 31 days.
This month also has some historical names like:
- Snow Month/Winter Monath
- Wulfmonath (wolf month)
January in other Languages
We call January month differently in every language. Here are some names of January in different languages:
- Januari (Dutch)
- Janeiro( Portuguese)
- Januar (German)
- Ocak (Turkish)
- Jannar (Maltese)
- Ianuarie (Romanian)
- Janar (Albanian)
- Yanvar (Azerbaijan)
January Important Days
Some important days which come in month January is:
- New Year’s Day (1 Jan)
- Global Family Day (2 Jan)
- World Braille Day (4 Jan)
- National Bird Day (5 Jan)
- Martin Luther King Jr. birthday (15 Jann)
- Australia Day (26 Jan)
- International Street Children Day (31 Jan)
Famous People Birthdays on January
Famous people who born in January are:
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (5 Jan) –a Politician
- Martin Luther King (15 Jan) –American Minister
- Bradley Cooper (5 Jan) –Hollywood Actor
- Deepika Padukone (5 Jan) –Bollywood Actress
- Kate Middleton (9 Jan) –Duchess of Cambridge
- Zayn Malik (12 Jan) –Hollywood Singer
- Aiza Khan (15 Jan) –Pakistani Actress
- Pitbull (15 Jan) –American Rapper
- Sajal Ali (17 Jan) -Pakistani Actress
- Ellen DeGeneres (26 Jan) –American Comedian, Actress, Writer & Producer
- Brooke Hyland (30 Jan) –American Actress
- Preity Zinta (31 Jan) –Bollywood Actress
Birthdays says a lot about your personality. Here are some personality traits of people who born in January:
- They are born leaders.
- Not very good at expressing their love in words to anyone.
- They have young faces but old souls. They become mature in early life.
- People who born in January are very witty and a good sense of humor.
- Very caring and kind towards others.
- They place their loved ones in priority more than their own selves.
- They don’t want to be a burden on anyone and work very hard to be independent.
- Very bad in taking decisions for their own selves.
- They are very cool and calm people and hate anger.
- Very sensitive people and some of them are also crybabies.
- They are very fun-loving people.
- Very emotional people.
- They are very hardworking and productive.
- Some January people are extremely introverts.
- They are best at keeping secrets.
- January people are very loyal whether it’s friendship or love.
- They feel very happy and satisfied to make others happy.
- Very deep thinkers.
- They are very good listeners most of the time but loves to talk to their very close loved ones.
- It takes time to recover when they are hurt.
- They have a very creative mind.
- Very romantic at heart.
Dry January is an annual tradition for many people. This Dry January is about voluntarily ditching alcohol-consuming to get a fresh start of the New Year. In December people are very high on alcohol so they want to take a break from this and give coming to New Year a clearer and healthy start. Dry January gives many benefits; people sleep better, save a lot of money, and also improved their health.
Wolf Moon Month
January month named wolf month because wolf moon comes in this month. Wolf moon is the first full moon of the year. This moon is wolf moon because all wolves howl loudly in this night which can be heard from a very far away distance. This wolf moon also has some other names like Great spirited moon, old moon, and snow moon.
January is popular for being called divorce month. Many people take divorce during the month of January. December month has winter holidays, so people do not take divorce in holidays rather they want to spend their holidays with the family last time and then they take divorce in January. Some people don’t want to bring their toxic relationship in their new year so they end their relationship in the first month by going for a divorce and give their life a new start.
Garnet is the birthstone of January. It comes in many colors but the most common one is red. Garnet looks like pomegranate in shape. Green garnets are rare ones. It was assumed that garnet has curing powers. This stone protects its wearer from poison, wounds, and bad dreams. Ancient warriors believed that garnet brought victory. Crusaders kept this stone with themselves as protection during their journey to save them from any kind of injuries and accidents. Asian warriors thought that garnet bullets are more effective than Lead ones. It is also a lucky stone for love and success.
Here some quotes related to month January:
- I love beginnings. If I were in charge of calendars, every day would be January 1. –Jerry Spinelli
- I like starting projects in January. That’s the best time to start something. It’s so inward. –Carolyn Chute
- Every man should be born again on the first of January. Start with the first page. –Henry Ward Beecher
- Feeling a little blue in January is normal. –Jean Paul
- January is the calendar’s ingrown hair. –Stewart Stafford
- January looks forward to the New Year and back to the old. He sees past and future. –M.L. Stedman
- To read a poem in January is as lovely as to go for a walk-in June. –Jean Paul
- January, the first month of the year, a perfect time to start all over again, changing energies and deserting old moods, new beginnings new attitudes. –Charmaine J. Forde
- January brings the snow, makes our feet and finger glow. –Sara Coleridge
- January is the month of dreaming. –Jean Hersey
January Birth Flowers
Birth flowers are just like birthstones. Similar to birthstones these flowers also have some hidden meanings. So January has two birth flowers; one is carnations and the other one is snow-drop. There are very few flowers in such cold weather months. It definitely takes extra strength for a flower to blossom in such extreme kind of weather.
Carnation flower which is the birth flower of January has strong bloom to blossom. This flower brightens with its beauty in this cold month. Carnation flower looks very charming due to its filler look. A single flower almost looks like a small bouquet.
Back then carnation flowers were one of those flowers which were used in crowns. Greeks wore these flower crowns during their ceremonies. In France, this flower is used as oil in their beauty creams as a relaxant. It also helps in hair loss control. This flower mostly used in celebrations and national festivals. These flowers lift the spirits in a very cheerful and colorful way just like these flowers are.
Carnation flower symbolizes admiration and love. It is the official flower for Mother’s day. Carnation has many colors and it signifies according to their color.
- Pink Carnations –affection and mother’s love
- Red Carnations –a deep love
- White carnations –good luck
- Yellow Victorian Carnations –disappointment
Snowdrop symbolizes hope and rebirth. In the wild region, we can find these flowers which look like a white beautiful blanket covering a large area. It looks like a white beautiful blanket. As these little milk flowers represent rebirth and hope, on other hand these snowdrop flowers also used to express sympathy and condolences at funerals. Moreover, it also called unlucky flowers because they grow on graveyards. Victorians believed that bringing these flowers home would only bring bad luck and death.
So this is the article which gives you every interesting thing you want to know about January. Hope you like it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?